|(about) 20 QUESTIONS FOR THE SSCI|
(about) 20 QUESTIONS FOR THE SSCI
Regarding the Report and the Committee
1) Would you characterize the committee (SSCI) as being split along party lines with regards to the priority that should be assigned to completing and publishing the second phase of the report?
2) In your estimation how close to completion is the second phase of the report?
3) What is your estimate of the chances that the second phase of the report will ever be completed?
4) What is your estimate of the chances that the second phase of the report will ever be published in a non-classified form?
Regarding the Intelligence Activities Relating to Iraq Conducted by Groups Within the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
1) Given what you’ve seen so far, what characterizations ought you make of the activities of the Office of Special Plans and the Policy Counter Terrorism Evaluation Group?
2) In what you’ve seen so far, how well documented are the authorizations for the questioned activities of these two groups?
Senator Roberts said that he’d “love to get Doug Feith... [from the Office of Special Plans]... back before the committee.” Senator Roberts also said there was a statement to the effect that “some of the activities [in the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy] may have been illegal.”
3) Specifically, what activities is Senator Roberts discussing?
4) How would you characterize Feith’s previous appearance(s) before the committee in this matter? Was he under oath when he appeared?
5) Is there anyone else from the either the OSP or the PCTEG who has been called before the committee in this matter?
6) If Feith and/or others from the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy were to appear before the committee again, would such testimony be under oath?
Regarding Potential Pressures on Analysts
Senator Roberts said that the CICUSRWMD “found no pressure to pressure any kind of--any kind of analysts.” However, none of the CICUSRWMD six terms of reference included an examination of these sorts of issues.
Has this committee found any “pressure to pressure any kind of--any kind of analysts?”
Regarding The Iraqi National Congress
1) How would you characterize the Intelligence Community’s use of information provided directly and/or indirectly by the Iraqi National Congress?
2) How would you characterize the dissemination of information provided by the Iraqi National Congress to the American public?
3) How influential do you think this information was to members of Congress?
4) How influential do you think this information was to the electorate?
Regarding Public Statements and Intelligence Information
Some political commentators are claiming the phase 1 report showed the Bush Administration was not misleading or misrepresenting the situation during the pre-war timeframe.
1)Do you have any plans to issue a press release or statement which clarifies the matter by stating the phase one report was limited to the actions and reports of the intelligence community and did not examine the actions and representations of the Administration?
2)How well substantiated by intelligence information were public statements, reports, and testimony by U.S. Government officials made after the Gulf War period and prior to Operation Iraqi Freedom regarding the likelihood of Iraq initiating an attack on the United States either directly or by proxy?